Contacts Wear and Care
Proper contacts care helps your contact last, prevents infection and disease, and keeps your vision clear. Caring for contacts is easy when you know how. Check out our tips below:
General Comfort and Protection
- Avoid rubbing your eyes when your contacts are in.
- Lubricate your contacts with rewetting drops if needed.
- Always keep a pair of eyeglasses on hand with your current prescription.
- To protect your eyes, wear sunglasses with full UV protection.
- Call your eye doctor immediately if you experience severe itching, redness, or chronic blurry vision.
Caring for Contacts – Dos and Don’ts
Follow these contacts care tips to protect your eyes and keep your contacts clean and comfortable.
- Get a proper contact lens fitting* and adhere to the wearing schedule determined by your doctor.
- Wash and dry your hands before touching your contacts.
- Clean your lenses as directed. For best performance, gently rub contacts with solution.
- Only use sterile, commercially prepared and approved contact lens care products. Ask your doctor for a solution recommendation based on your prescribed contact lenses.
- Use contact lens care products formulated for the type of lenses you wear.
- Store your contacts as directed.
- Wear torn or scratched contacts. This can cause serious corneal damage.
- Moisten your contacts with saliva.
- "Top off" the old solution in the case when you disinfect the lenses. Always throw it out.
- Let anyone else wear your contacts. You could end up passing or acquiring a disease.
- Use solution that appears discolored. It could be out of date or contaminated.
- Wear contact lenses that bother you. Get them checked or try a new set.
Contacts Makeup Tips
- Take out your contacts before removing your makeup.
- Put your contacts in first, and then apply your makeup.
- To minimize eye irritation, choose water-based, hypoallergenic makeup.
- Replace mascara and eyeliner every three to four months. These products build up bacteria easily.
- Don't use waterproof mascara. It's difficult to remove and could stain soft contacts.